1 can cream of chicken soup (not condensed)
2-3 cans water, as needed
2 large cooked chicken breasts, or any leftover cooked chicken
Chicken base* to taste
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery, sliced
Baby carrots or sliced carrots
Yellow squash (2), chopped
Zucchini (1), chopped
Frozen baby lima beans
Elbow macaroni (couple handfuls)
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
Salt and pepper
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add soup, water, and about 1 Tbsp chicken base (to start; you can add more later if you need it).
- Add chicken and bring to a simmer; check seasonings and add more chicken base if you want.
- You'll use the soup itself to cook the pasta, so add more water if needed (just a little at a time; you don't want it super-thin.
- Return soup to a simmer, add pasta** and cook about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in herbs and serve.
*For the chicken base, I recommend Better than Bullion found in the grocery store soup aisle.
**If you're going to freeze the soup, just add (separately cooked) pasta to the portions you're serving; the pasta will have a much better texture if you don't freeze it in the soup.