Monday, December 29, 2014
I am many things to many different people and places. I love all the things I am and the people who helped shape me into the person I am today!
Writers Workshop Template (Where I'm From)
Sunday, December 28, 2014
Hiding the Pickle on the Christmas tree is a tradition our family has had since the boys were toddlers. The boys would rush down the steps to find the pickle. Whoever found the pickle got an extra gift, so of course they tripped over one another to get to the tree first.
Winning the pickle prize was quite an accomplishment.
The typical prize would be a game or toy the boys could share.
As they grew, the pickle prize lost it's luster.
The boys no longer cared if they won the prize or not.
This year Zachary was the only one looking for the pickle because his
brother's couldn't get out of bed.
He looked a good 5 minutes before his Dad joined in the hunt.
I hid it well!!
ps. The pickle is behind one of the red stars!!
This year the Pickle Prize was $50.00
You should have seen his brothers faces when they knew what Zachary won!!
I think next year they will get out of bed, don't you?
Saturday, December 27, 2014
Zach: Mom, I can't find my debit card.
ME: Where was the last place you had it?
ZACH: Burger King and I used the drive thru. I didn't go anywhere that night once I got back.
ME: Did you check the trash? Maybe you threw it way with the bag.
ZACH: No, and it would be too late with the trash. I thought about it. I definitely didn't.
ME: Check your car again.
ZACH: Cleaned out my car. I swear I did nothing different then I usually do. This blows my mind. It's always in my car or on my bed.
(Did he just say he keeps it in his CAR or the BED????)
ME: Did you check the laundry?
ME: Did you check UNDER the bed?
ZACH: Yes MOM!
ME: If you can't find it, you will have to call the bank, get it cancelled and order a replacement.
ZACH: Found my Walmart debit card that my paycheck is on. Is it possible to transfer money on that one.
(SMACK MY FOREHEAD!)
ME: No. I can't do that. Is there any money left on that card?
ZACH: Like $1.25
(Dude, you're screwed!)
ZACH: I've been looking all day. If I can't find it by 2:30, I'll call.
(Jeopardy Theme Song)
ZACH: What's the number?
Monday, December 22, 2014
We had to improvise.
The elementary school that the boys went to had a huge hill in the back.
We couldn't drive on the roads because the plow truck didn't come often.
When it did, your car was boxed back in... after you spent countless hours digging it out.
It took us about double the time it would normally take to walk to the school.
But we made it and the boys wasted no time climbing up the hill!
We tried different types of sleds. The boys liked the snow boards the best.
At the end of the day we were all ready to go home and drink a huge pot of hot chocolate!
Friday, December 19, 2014
This week’s blog hop is from Hilary at Feeling Beachie
co-hosted with Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews.
co-hosted with Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews.
- I would never_____
- Do you always______
- ______ is my favorite holiday
- Realizing______ makes me______
- I would never get another dog! We got a chocolate lab, Maggie, in the summer and she has been a Tasmanian devil. It's been overwhelming having a puppy and watching 6 kids in my home. **Just shoot me now!** Maggie is 9 months and is finally beginning to calm down. I taught her not to jump on people, wait for her food until I tell her it's okay to eat (proud of that one), sit, stay, lay down. Still working on the walking and coming to me when I call her name. She prefers sniffing the grass instead of listening. Any training tips are helpful!! I have had dogs before and don't remember being this overwhelmed with a puppy. She is high maintenance!
- Do you always put the toilet seat down? I would recommend it if you have toddlers. One time Zachary threw a ball like a basketball player from across the bathroom. It landed in the toilet just as his brother flushed. The toilet overflowed. ugh! We had to remove the entire toilet to get the ball out!!
- Halloween is my favorite holiday. I just love everything about Halloween. The fall decorations, pumpkins, mums, witches and ghosts and of course, CANDY!
- Realizing nap time is over makes me want to cry. Okay, maybe nothing that dramatic. But OH how I love nap time!!
Thursday, December 18, 2014
In 2005 Brandon became interested in Martial Arts.
There was a class held at a local YMCA.
He earned four different belts and made it to the green belt.
He had four more levels to make it to black belt.
At one point he broke some boards with a karate chop.
Not too shabby for a 7 year old.
Brandon stopped doing karate when he began playing ice hockey.
He tried doing both at the same time,
but hockey is a huge commitment and it was tough to keep up with both.
We let him choose between the two and he picked hockey.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Is Ahren moving back in?
I don't know.
He didn't say for sure.
Tell him I love him and he better quit cigs.
I think that's why he isn't moving in.
I told him he'd have to quit smoking.Hahahaha.
That's what I was thinking when you said he wasn't sure.
I don't like that he smokes.
Well mother, you know it's a process.
I read like 6 out of 100 people max are able to quit cold turkey.
The symptoms are to strong too handle.
He quit for awhile, but said stress makes him start again.It's rough out there.
(Yes, Zachary it is.)
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
Monday, December 15, 2014
Cape May, NJ has a fabulous Zoo. It's not huge like some zoos, but it is very family friendly.
Each summer we spend a week in Ocean City, NJ. Cape May isn't far from there, so we take a day trip to the zoo. It's one of my favorite places to visit each year.
Gators creep me out! They always look like they are up to no good.
Sneaking up on you, waiting to grab you in their powerful jaws.
I learned a few facts from a report my son had to do when he was in elementary school.
They can live 30-50 years old!
Zoo's feed them rats.
It is Florida's official state reptile.
Even though some gators were taken off the endangered species list, they are still considered endangered because hunter cannot always tell the difference between the different types of gators.
Visit the National Parks Conservation Association to donate towards endangered species.
Cape May Zoo 2004
Pictures courtesy of Todd Miller
Friday, December 12, 2014
- I can’t believe my baby is applying to colleges. This has been nerve racking for me. The thought of my last child leaving home.
- Purple is my favorite color. (okay, I admit I could have come up with something more original).
- If I could stop working I would be spending my time with underprivileged children. My heart is huge when it comes to helping children. I have an in-home day care - which I love!
- December is freaking freezing!! Although February and March are much colder. BRRRR!
I'd love to get to know you. Join Friday Four Fill-in-Fun!!
Thursday, December 11, 2014
We had a springer spaniel named Teddy and we took him camping with us whenever a campground allowed pets. Otter Lake was one of our favorite campgrounds located near the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania.
The scenery and lake was gorgeous. The lake also had a lot of DUCKS!
Springer Spaniels are known for hunting birds.
The term springer comes from the historic hunting role,
where the dog would "spring" (flush) into the air.
I wish I had pictures of Teddy 'springing' off the dock to jump in the water.
It was beautiful.
Teddy loved the water. He would swim after those ducks until he got tired.
After the swim we would dry Teddy off to keep him warm.
I loved snuggling with my Teddy Bear.
Even though he is technically not a lapdog, Teddy seemed to think he was.
Teddy passed away August 30th, 2013.
My heart still hurts when I think of him.
I miss him very much.
Otter Lake Camp Resort 2004.